Tuesday 19 March 2013

...Of Lewis Carroll



Lewis Carroll (who's real name was Charles Lutwidge Dodgson)  was a gifted author, who wrote "Jabberwocky", "The Hunting of the Snark", and - most famously - the two "Alice" books: "Adventures in Wonderland", and "Through the Looking Glass". These explore life through the 'nonsense' genre - so called, because the actual stories appear to make little sense.

I love the 'nonsense' genre, and extreme comedy for that reason: by making little literal sense, 'Alice' and works like them free us from the constraints of the Modernist mind. We are given permission to explore the great 'What If's' of life: what if I were a king? A princess? An astronaut? A pirate?

What if I could live forever?

What if anything I tried always succeeded?

What if there is a God who is truly interested in me?

What if...?  I love that question. I love to read thinkers who break the molds of constraint we put on ourselves: Lewis Carroll; Seth Godin (http://sethgodin.typepad.com/); Andy Stanley (http://yourmove.is/); Jesus of Nazareth.

So to the free thinkers who encourage us to become more than we ever thought possible: this blog is dedicated to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment