Wednesday 1 May 2013

...of Forests and Trees

I had a day of meetings today. I really enjoyed each of the people I met. They have passion, commitment, ideals, and ask the questions I love to hear asked.

Yet, as I sit here late at night, I somehow feel that today I may have missed the forest for the trees. I feel quite discontented, and I'm not sure why.

What's worse, I'm looking at my diary for the next week, and I have a growing sense that other days will end the same way. I am looking forward to seeing each of the people and groups; so why would I feel this way?

Two answers are possible: one is that my 'gift' of wanting to do the best with every moment and give the best to each person means that I will always feel discontented. After all, perfection by its very nature is not possible in this life, so each moment will always fall short of the ideal. This is a good thing, since it pushes me to rely on God more, and to accept that he will take my best and use it as He wills. And that is a very good thing.

The other answer is that I'm getting too engrossed in the trees, and I need to stop, take a deep breath and wait on God; to hear what he is saying about my busy days, and from there to see the forest afresh. This is also good: for again it pushes me back to God.

So: both paths lead to God. The first 'trick' is figuring out which path I am on, and then enjoying the ride with Him.

The second 'trick' is learning to accept I am a driven type, who does overfill his days (and nights).

The final 'trick' is not to over-think things: like I'm doing now...

Psalm 46 says: “Be still, and know that I am God" Perhaps it's just time to be still.
And eat a rose.

No comments:

Post a Comment