Thursday 17 April 2014

... of Fun

Some students came by the church last night, About 11pm. They must have seen lights on upstairs, as our youth group was sleeping over (The campsite they were going to had been closed due to bad weather). I noticed the students through our bedroom window. At first they seemed fine, If rather noisy.

Then I heard the smash of glass, and as I rushed outside I saw the students scatter. All except one, who held my attention while the others fled, and then fled herself. 

I stood at our church door, brooding over the smashed glass. Our youth helped me clean the mess.

By the time we had finished I was past brooding and into anger. How could these students call this fun? Fun, to break a window and upset people so. Fun? This is fun? I don't think so! I went robed, stewing. 

The wet new day dawned. Good Friday. The day Jesus died on the cross for my sin. That day the crowds gathered and thought it was 'fun'to mock a crucified man. They did not scatter, but stayed to the end to watch his body break. 

And suddenly a broken window seemed somehow less important. Oh sure, annoying. But hardly life changing. Yet the broken body of my Saviour: THAT matters. 

The window is fixed. And so is my perspective. Of course I'd love to discuss 'fun' with our late night visitors. But I think I need to discuss Jesus with them more. 


No comments:

Post a Comment